Tabs

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Travel Blog

I am briefly reviving this very neglected and confused blog for the purposes of reflecting on this particularly stressful time in my life.  Perhaps I should say *exciting* rather than stressful?


Luke is in the thick of a bunch of crazy busy-ness.  He is writing multiple essays for his presbyterian studies with Christ College, Sydney.  He is preaching weekly for Montrose, a series in Mark which he is writing for the first time.  Lastly, we are flying to two separate locations in two weeks to interview for Luke to be their minister - a process I don't fully understand but involves preaching, meeting the elders and answering questions and spending some social time with the congregation and in the area.

The first interview is in Horsham, a 1 hour flight to Melbourne and 3.5 hour drive from there.  The second is in the Atherton tablelands, a 2 hour flight to Sydney, 3 hour wait and then another 3 hour flight from Sydney to Cairns, followed by a 1.5 hour drive to Atherton.

Luke's Sydney trip is fairly common for us, he has been doing them to attend intensives since I was pregnant with Solomon, who is 2 now.  It was hairy when he was a newborn and I found them unbearably stressful and glad when they were done, now I have found a rhythm and the children enjoy the greater flexibility and increased mummy time ( and screen time ;)).

The other trips are entirely new, I have not flown with kids in tow since our first was 5-6 months old! I am excited, our kids are at a good age to enjoy things, a nap is not strictly necessary, they like to learn new things and they are good friends who play well together mostly.  On the other hand, not sleeping in cars and therefore on planes will probably mean cranky/overtired small people with relentless questioning and need for entertainment.


Gearing up for being 'needed' a lot, but also looking forward to being somewhere new.  Glad to not have to keep the home fires burning, my usual role, but knowing I will still need to miss conversations or other enjoyable things in strange homes that belong to other people while I take care of the kids so Luke can focus on the interview.

Praying for a good attitude, a good imagination and tired kids that conk out at the end of the day.:)

Also, in the immortal words of Wayne in Wayne's World -  "Fishy ears!!!!!"